Guys,the Body flow yoga class and cardio schedule is just awesome! It's refreshing for at-home moms like moi-meme! I would not want to miss it for the world!
These days my focus is on cooking quick,nutritious one dish meals (courtesy:7 month old at home who keeps a close eye on every move of mine 24x7 :D) that keep our tummies in shape for all good reasons.So,if you have your goodies,do share with CWM!
Indian food...hmmm...CWM is a desi (Indian,no offense meant) at heart,appetite and palette gladly.The only issue with many Indian delicacies is the high amount of calorie intake with emphasis of fatty ingredients.Accepting this as a challenge in my endeavor to successfully cook healthy,low cal meals without crash dieting or cutting down the essential nutrition through proteins,fats,carbs,iron and folic acid etc.
"Methi Malai Mutter" is a very popular rich,creamy and traditional Indian dish.It's an all time family favourite.
As mentioned in the other blogs,fusing the fancies of west in simply eastern cooking is something out of the world.Striking balance in this ordeal is crucial. Western recipes often have gravy/sauce made from vegetable/legume purees.Its a great way to cut on dollops of cream,cashew nuts,cheese,khoya (unsweetened condensed milk in solid form) and whole milk,thus controlling the fat/calorie intake per serving.
This recipe shall replace the traditional usage of dairy (cream,milk and khoya) totally.
At the finger tips...
1. 2 c soaked,washed and pressure cooked Black eyed beans (chavali) or any other white beans.
2. 1-2 c fresh fenugreek (methi) leaves,cleaned,washed and finely chopped.
3. 1 c green peas (if frozen,thawed).
4. 2-3 tsp oil (veg/olive).
5. 2 tsp black pepper.
6. 1 small portion of cinnamon stick.
7. 2-3 cloves.
8. 1 tsp fennel seeds (sauf).
9. 1 tsp cumin seeds.
10. 1 tbsp garam masala/curry powder.
11. 1 bay leaf.
12. 1 tsp finely chopped ginger.
13. 1-2 tsp garlic powder/fresh minched garlic.
14. 4 cashew nuts (optional).
15. 1-3 c water.
16. 1 tsp ghee/butter (optional).
17.1tsp cardamom powder/crushed whole.
The Pureed fake Malai (cream)...
1. Blend the beans,pepper,bay leaf,cinnamon,cashew,ginger and garlic until smooth and creamy,adding little water for ease.Set aside,the puree/gravy is ready.
(**The ginger and garlic are optional.Without the spices and condiments,the puree could be given to kids with little salt !!)
In the saute pan...
1. Saute the fenugreek leaves over crackling cumin seeds in hot oil. Add salt and other dry ingredients in it.Allow it to cook for a while.
2.Add the puree and peas to it and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Its an awesome side dish that could be served hot with rice pilaf,naan/roti! Try it to believe it :)