Tuesday, October 13, 2009

“खजुराच्या पोळ्या” (Sweet Paratha made of Dates)

“First Fifty Dates” a movie starring Drew Barrymore & Adam Sandler ; too vague for the likes of moi but serves to be one of the favourites of most of the female population.

I m fascinated with the word “DATE” though :) They are not merely reminders of merrier times in future or those in past but also sweet & nutritious candidates to  achieve healthy appetite.Yes,I m very much referring to the very edible “Khajoor”(खजूर).The date fruit is almost synonymous with good times since eternity.

Date-a-file

i-dates-medjool Dates are believed to have originated around the Persian Gulf, and have been cultivated since ancient times from Mesopotamia to prehistoric Egypt, possibly as early as 6000 BC.

A 100 gram portion of fresh dates is a premium source of vitamin C and supplies 230 kcal (960 kJ) of energy. They are fat free, cholesterol free, and are a good source of fiber.Dates have a high tannin content and are used medicinally as a detersive (having cleansing power) and astringent in intestinal troubles. Dates may be administered for sore throat, colds, bronchial catarrh, and taken to relieve fever and number of other complaints. They may counteract alcohol intoxication. The seed powder is also used in some traditional medicines while their roots are used against toothache.

IMG_3069 Well,enough of advocacy! The main ingredient for today’s recipe is Khajoor/date.I m making one of my Aai’s specialties namely "khajoorachya polya”.

Total Time=Cooking Time+Preparation Time=30-35 minutes.

IngredientsIMG_3062

  • 1/2 muffin-full bowl of dates/khajoor (preferably black dates since they are softer and easier to work on,available at most of the Indian stores)
  • 1/2 muffin-full bowl of sugar (floured-quantity depends on the type of sugar)
  • 1/8 th muffin-full bowl of roasted poppy seeds (खसखस)
  • 1/8th muffin-full bowl of semolina (रवा) –I used roasted semolina so that the end result is tastier & crispier.
  • 1/8th muffin-full bowl of all purpose flour (मैदा)
  • 1/8th muffin-full bowl of wheat flour (my addition)
  • 1/8th muffin-full bowl of vegetable oil
  • salt to taste
  • 1/8th muffin-full bowl of rice flour (तांदुळाची पीठी)
  • 2 tsp cardamom powder (instead of whole cardamom suggested in the book)
  • 2 tsp nutmeg powder (my addition)
  • 2 tbsp of साजुक तूप (pure ghee –my addition)
  • some walnuts (10 max-my addition)
  • small piece of cinnamon (my addition)
  • 2 tsp milk powder (my addition)

Roll It Round

Kamala Aji must have been extremely active to use the typical “huge pestle and mortar” to mince most of her chutneys and spices.It sure a tough job to mince dates,walnuts,poppy seeds,cardamom powder ,nutmeg powder,cinnamon & sugar on “पाटावरवणटा” (bigger and heavier pestle and mortar).I m too impatient for all this so opted for a mixer grinder until it turned into a soft thick paste (add little ghee so that it does not stick to the blender).The consistency must be good enough to be rolled into a ball or ladoo (added 2 tsp of milk powder) so I kneaded it.This is the stuffing dough.

I mixed semolina,wheat flour,all purpose flour,salt,hot oil and kneaded it into a dough ( a little on harder side).I hammered (कूटणे) this dough with my rolling pin (low blows please :P).This process softens the kneaded dough.This is the outer crust dough.

The Binding & Rolling

IMG_3063 Make 2 balls of the outer crust dough and one ball (slightly bigger than one of the two dough balls) of stuffing dough.Then roll down a round (10 cm diameter circular flat base) roti/poli and place it between the two outer crust dough balls.Finally roll the triplet again.

IMG_3067 IMG_3068

The khajoor poli turned out to be quite tasty (even though it was not as good as Aai’s,but not bad attempt either) and We (Ze Ranadez) ate it merrily with “pure ghee” and lukewarm milk (with/without sugar) as a dip!!

ONE SUGGESTION

Please avoid usage of poppy seeds & semolina.I found it difficult work with both of them since while rolling most of the stuffing would move out.I could not roll the dough into a perfect round due to the gravels of Rava.I would suggest (having done as per the book) the outer crust dough should be made of wheat flour and all purpose flour only.

IMG_3070 Surprise your brothers this Bhaubheej with Khajoorachi Poli (the brother showering day)!

karanji-03 जीवेत् शरद् शतम्! (may god bless him with long life).

7 comments:

  1. wah wah mansi...Looks really yummmmmy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Sonal: thanks so much!do try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you pen things. Very informative and it makes the recipe interesting too... And yes that's one of my favorite movies too....

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Anu: Thanks dear! I m glad you like my style.Do try some of the recipes & share with Cookwithmoi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lovvvvvvvvvvv this !! .. I want it NOWWWWWWW :(((

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Madhulika:Do come here,and I will defintely make it for you dear!

    ReplyDelete