My yoga classes run late over the weekdays and cooking thereafter has to be real quick and dirty! Something that combines the taste,health and nutrition is what busy bees are always looking for,is it not?
Lentils and legumes constitute a fair portion of our meals.Traditionally,a Bramhin household like ours would have a typical lentil/legume curry with loads of jaggery,tamarind,cilantro,coconut served with rice and poli (bread,chapati,roti) with no garlic,ginger and onions.They are quite a NO-NO when gray haired are around in particular :D
Often CWM likes to infuse lot of styles and not follow stereo types all the time.So,though garlic,ginger and onions are not regulars on my chopping block,they aren't total strangers too!! So,here's my twist to the typical chavli usal (black eye peas curry) and rice!
The Zing Station..
1. 3 portions of uncooked,washed,whole grain basmati rice.
2. 5 portions (measurer same as for rice) of water.
3. 1 clove of garlic,finely chopped.
4. 1 thinly sliced shallot.
5. 6-7 pearl onions.
6. salt to taste.
7. loads of cilantro.
8. 1 petal of star anise.
9.1 tbsp turmeric powder.
10. pinch of asofoetida.
11. 2 green chilis finely chopped.
12. 1 tbsp. garam masala powder.
13. 3 tbsp. tomato paste.
14. 1tsp.mustard seeds.
15. 1tbsp.vegetable oil.
16. 1 c black eye peas (washed,soaked for 10-15 min)
Saute and Pressure cook..
1. Allow the mustard seeds to crackle in hot oil along with asofoetida.Add the turmeric,green chilis and garlic and onions (shallots and pearl). Saute them until the onions shrink.
2. Add all the dry ingredients except cilantro. Saute rice and beans over the spices.
3. Add water,cilantro and tomato paste,stir and shut the lid.
4.Let it pressure cook until 3 whistles.
5.Serve with curds,raita or pickle.
It tasted awesome! Nutrition at its best! One dish meal in less than 30 min!!